[nflug] ubuntu 7.04 sound loss

Justin S. Leitgeb justin at phq.org
Fri May 18 23:01:59 EDT 2007

--- anthonyriga <torrodimerda at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Everyonce while if I am on you tube playing videos
> and
> switch to cnn to watch news I lose sound. I try to
> play a cd in after this happens and the cd dosent
> play
> either. If I log off log out and back in sound works
> fine. You tube uses Adobe flash and not sure if
> there
> is a bug in Flash or something is not releasing
> sound
> server not really sure. Anyone maybe had this happen
> or have maybe idea?

Check the permissions on /dev/dsp both when you're able to play music,
and when you're having problems.  I vaguely remember having problems
similar to this on Fedora a while back.  Fedora also sets permissions on
/dev/dsp on login (or logout, can't remember which) and this may explain
how the problem is resolved by logging out.

--
Justin S. Leitgeb

Email: justin at phq.org
Phone: (585) 507-9547