[nflug] hi

John G. Boice evrgreen at netsync.net
Sat Mar 31 14:15:12 EDT 2007

Hi, Ryan.

One of the most painless ways to get into learning Linux is to use a
Live CD.  Some distributions have them, some do not.  If you set you
BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM first, a LiveCD will boot your computer
without affecting anything on your hard drive.

Of course since everything is running in your RAM or directly off the
CD, it is slower than an installed version of Linux would be.  But it's
a no-mistakes way to get introduced to the look and feel of some of the
modern distros.

I prefer Mepis, myself.  The current stable version is 6.0, but 6.5 is
in Release Candidate 3, and so might be fine to try. I have had no
problems with it.

Another good distro for beginners is PCLinuxOS.  It has very good
hardware detection out-of-the-box, and looks beautiful.

Ubuntu is the most popular distro for new users. It is the first one I
ever tried, back in 2004.  I don't use it myself anymore very much, but
that is a matter of personal taste. Many NFLUG members like it and use it.

Are you familiar with how to download and burn an ISO file to produce a CD?

--John