[nflug] [OT] Inventory Barcode Scanner Systems

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at Dynabrade.com
Thu Mar 29 11:20:20 EDT 2007

    I don't claim to be an expert either.  If your looking for a turnkey
solution, I can't really help you, but I can tell you what we do.

    We have been using Sato Printers (M8400 Series) with good luck, they
are pricy, but industrial quaility, nice metal enclosure, fast thermal
tranfser printer.

    Our software is custom written by us. I use PHP w/ Oracle Support
(on Linux of course)  plugin called Rbarcode (~$50) and  FPDF to
generate a PDF barcode label based on our Oracle Information system,
which the user can print to the sato printer just like any other windows
printer.

The user then uses a USB symbol reader (I've seen similar ones at places
like college book stores) which sends input to the keyboard buffer, they
use it to enter data back into a web form (PHP / Oracle again) which
will do the update into the buisiness system.

I also use PHP/Fpdf/Rbarcode to generate internal documents like pick
tickets with a barcoded number on it, which is then scanned later on in
the process, to trigger a label print or update the system.

I like the PHP/Oracle interface, since it is clean, I can run oracle
functions and procedures, and best of all I don't have to mess around
with ODBC or something like that on windows.

Justin