[nflug] vmware

Frank pirrone at localnet.com
Fri Mar 23 23:01:45 EDT 2007

eric wrote:
> looking to run Access on top of my linux OS.  I would have to run it on
> top of Windows XP installed on vmware correct?
>
> So I downloaded or tried to download the "free" vmware, maybe I'm doing
> this wrong keeps asking me for a serial registration number, I
> downloaded vwware server... anyone know which vmware I should download
> for what I want to do (just running Access)

Not the server Eric.  You need a Windows VMware Player and a Virtual
Machine of Windows with Access - which would have to be created by
VMware Workstation or the GSX or ESX servers.

I believe a better solution to be Parallels Workstation - free trial $50
purchase.  You'd of course need Windows and Access but this is a very
slick solution.

I'm running Parallels Desktop for Intel Macs and you ought to see
GNU/Linux, Windows XP Pro, and Solaris 10 scream in these VMs.  Beauty
here is they are only files!  Don't like Solaris (I didn't) just delete
the file.

No partitions, no threats to your base OS, no complex alteration to your
system, works right through the hardware of the host machine.  On the
Mac that's pretty impressive to be sure.

Frank