[nflug] Server room A/C

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Thu Mar 22 15:52:59 EDT 2007

The bigger issue is usually airflow, and not tonnage. Whats the layout of
the servers, room, ac unit, and rack?
What type of servers are they (front to back cooling or top to bottom). If
you take a 1 tone ac unit and stick it right in front of a heater in a room,
they'll battle each other out all day and your overall room temperature
won't change.

Especially if you have newer type servers that cool from front to back.
Sticking an AC unit in the back or the rack isn't going to do a thing. Those
types of servers need cool are in the front..One other question, who is
"They" and what is the problem that is making them state that you need a
larger ac unit?

FYI, you could always go nuts and pull up the specs of each server. It'll
list the btu outputs. But again, it's more airflow than general cooling with
front to back cooling servers.

Mark