[nflug] PCLinuxOS

David Mangani buckettruckdave at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 20:21:38 EDT 2007

Thanks for that important input John. As I said in my first post, I
haven't actually loaded it yet. Just ran it as a livecd, so I was
totally unaware of the repo issues you mentioned. Kind of a shame, it
seemed rather nice. The repo thing is a deal breaker ultimately for
me. Good info, thank you.

Dave

On 3/14/07, John G. Boice <evrgreen at netsync.net> wrote:
> David Mangani wrote:
> > Just wondering if anyone on the list is/has used PCLinuxOS. I read
> > about it somewhere ( don't know where ) and figured I'd give it a
> > whirl. I love trying out different distros. I have not installed it
> > yet, but have run it a fair amount as a live cd. It is very nicely
> > polished. It detected EVERYTHING perfectly. Uses apt-get/synaptic, is
> > based on Mandrivia ( rpms ), also has 3d squigglies waiting to be
> > turned on with a quick nvidia or ati d'load from the default
> > repositories. KDE based. Seems pretty nice. System comes loaded with
> > plugins for almost everything including windows media, Flash, Java,
> > realmedia. Right off the cd it played the videos I tried no problems.
> > Even ubuntu has to be configured a little. I was impressed. Also
> > noticed its climbing up the ladder at distrowatch, its now #4. Nice
> > little os for someone who doesn't want to tinker a whole lot.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Hi, Dave.
>
> Yes, I have tried it out, both on desktop & notebook machines.
>
> It's gorgeous and fairly fast out of the box.  I've talking about the
> "Big Daddy" version release from the end of 2006.
> The configuration GUIs are not bad at all, and I'd say the HW detection
> is very good.
>
> The major problem with it seems to be that the repos are apparently on a
> server that needs to be powered by a hand crank or something.  I mean,
> imagine trying to update your install or add new software at dial-up
> speeds. It's that bad.
> Note: I'm on DSL, and not the fastest. But I can DL from the Mepis and
> Ubuntu repos at up to 220-240 KB/S, which is about the fastest I get
> from any FTP server.  The last time I tried to update my install of
> PCLinuxOS, it advised me that it would take approximately 14 hours.
> After an hour, that estimate hadn't changed, so I just canceled.
>
> At Distrowatch it has shot up steadily in the hits/day ranking since the
> "Big Daddy" release.  Definitely fun to try.  I have serious doubts
> about anyone being able to use it as a primary OS due to the problem
> DL-ing from the repos, though.
>
> --John

Debian Linux/FC6/Sometimes Ubuntu.