[nflug] samba woes

eric eric at bootz.us
Wed Mar 7 13:11:13 EST 2007

I just wanted to reiterate that changing other users' passwords work
fine, but mine does not

here are some of smb.conf flags:
***********
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
obey pam restrictions = yes
winbind enable local accounts = no
dns proxy = no
security = user
unix password sync = yes
**************

I also have myself as an admin user for each share

Thanks again,
Eric

eric wrote:

>I'm using webmin, in webmin I can set samba users to be created
>everytime I create a linux user.
>
>Thanks for your help
>

>David J. Andruczyk wrote:
>

>>You didn't make it very clear which PW you changed (linux login PW or
>>sambs PW,  but you may want to look into "password sync" and "passwd
>>chat" parameters for smb.conf
>>
>>but samba password sync will reset the UNIX login PW when a user
>>changes their samba PW,  however this doesn't work two ways., unless
>>you use the pam module pam_smb,  or setup winbindd which will allow
>>you to autheniticate your linux login-able accounts through samba, or
>>an outside NT/window/samba pdc.
>>
>>google is your friend for these topics as there's numerous howto's but
>>you need to investigate your environment  (is it one server? or part
>>of an AD/NT domain.) to  determine an appropriate course of action.
>>

>>*/eric <eric at bootz.us>/* wrote:
>>
>>    I know there is a samba expert out there who might be able to help me.
>>
>>    I have a strange problem, firstly I have Linux users sync-ing and
>>    creating samba users, I have many users on a samba file server when I
>>    change their passwords everything works great, However when I
>>    change my
>>    password it only changes for my linux user, it is as if either the
>>    network has a cache of my old password and will now not let me into
>>    samba shares or the samba password for only my user account will not
>>    change ...I have even tried just changing my samba user password with
>>    still no luck.
>>
>>    Any clues would really be nice, I think I have exhausted all of my
>>    ideas.
>>
>>    Thanks,
>>    Eric
>>

>>-- David J. Andruczyk