[nflug] Inter-VLAN routing help!

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Wed Jul 25 10:11:36 EDT 2007

Darin, David, et al..

Ok, so here's the dealio, to start out, I'll keep things simple. we have new
Dell 6248 switches,
And my goal is to try and have a "Management VLAN". I've got a dozen or so
switches and to give each switch an IP address for management purposes on my
Production Lan seems silly to me for a number of reasons:

1. I'd be wasting at least a dozen IP's if not more (more likely around 50
Ip's when you also count in other managed devices)
2. I'd be wasting precious physical ports
3. security security security. To put a switch management interface on a
production network is just silly. Why would anyone want to put a core switch
on the same subnet as 200+ other production servers.

So, here's my plan..give the switch an ip address of 10.10.10.1 on VLAN1
All the ports on the switch will be assigned to VLAN200 on network
192.168.1.0

Now we've got 2 VLAN's (networks), one that all ports are assigned to, and
one that is "internal only"

The goal is to setup vlan routing however so that machines on VLAN200
(192.168.1.x) can access the VLAN1 ip address (10.10.10.1).

In the old days, a compromise would be to make port1 on the switch on VLAN1,
and hook up a router to port1 and another port on VLAN200, and route between
them. Easy sneezy. However it would be using up 2 ports, not to mention
dedicating a router (or at least 2 router ports) for just a "silly"
management network..

Why go through all that when ideally, the switch is a router and I _should_
be able to setup inter vlan routing...

Make sense? Except it aint working :( and frankly I'm not 100% sure where to
even start..

Mark