[nflug] GNOME Desktop Startup in VNC

Robert Wolfe rwolfe at shatterit.com
Sun Jul 22 01:08:00 EDT 2007

Good morning everyone!

I was lucky enough to have downloaded and installed RHEL 4.5 AS yesterday (I
do not care too much for 5 right now) and am having two issues at this point.

One, I can connect to the SMTP Server (running Postfix) when I telnet to
localhost on port 25.  However, when I try to connect to the same machine via
telnet to port 25 from outside my network, I get a connection refused
message.  I have made sure that port 25 is open and forwarded on my router
and I even have the Linux "machine" (I put machine in quotes because I am
really running RHEL AS in a VMWare 6 session) on the DMZ (and is the only
machine there).

The second problem I am having is I would like to have Gnome start up with
VNCServer loads up so that when I connect via VNC I get the GNOME desktop
instead of the ugly X-Windows interface :)

Any help on either of these issues would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Rob