[nflug] strange time problem

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Jul 21 20:11:42 EDT 2007

David J. Andruczyk wrote:
> It's because the system use UTC (universal time)
> internally and currently we're 4 hours off of that due
> to  DST.
>
> Not sure how to work around that however.
>

> --- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
>

>> Hello all,
>>   If I set the date in my Linux system with "date
>> 07210700" I set it to
>> 7am today. I have the correct edt setting,
>> /etc/timezone reads
>> "America/New_York", however the bios time is always
>> 4 hours different.
>> Even if I set "hwclock --systohc", it's still a 4
>> hour difference.
>> Normally I wouldn't care if the bios time is off but
>> this is a dual boot
>> and windows reads the bios clock and is then wrong.
>> Any ideas on this? I
>> played with the utc setting but don't think it did
>> anything, even so,
>> wouldn't utc make it a 6 hour difference? Ideas?
>>

> -- David J. Andruczyk

This just started to be a problem lately. As long as I had the time
right in the BIOS, all was good (between dual boots). I don't really
even do many dual boots anymore either, winblows in vmware is usually
good enough for people that have to have windows stuff. Was probably a
package change in an update that started to default it to UTC, as I
haven't had this problem before, unless of course, you selected UTC in
one of the gui time configuration tools. I did google a bit and found
that there are some serious bugs in the time-admin package for Ubuntu.
Any other Ubuntu people see this? The time-admin gui doesn't even have a
selection for UTC or not, and if this is now defaulting to it, I need to
find a way to change it. Does anyone know of a command line to NOT do
UTC? "date MMddhhmm" ? Can't make out the date man page too well, that
man is poorly written if you ask me and I was never comfortable with
using info pages.