[nflug] tethering my bluetooth cell phone

Mark T. Valites mark-nflug at valites.net
Fri Jul 13 16:01:33 EDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, eric wrote:

> is it possible to tether my internet service from my cell phone to my
> laptop via bluetooth? my laptop is running etch.

It depends on your phone and your service provider.

Assuming they allow it, you will need to use the bluez tools to bind to
the phone, but after that, you can treat the newly created rfcomm device
as a generic modem.

Lots of how-tos can be found here:

http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/

Documentation specfic to bluez and modems here:

http://www.bluez.org/documentation.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

If I remember right, you can do it manually with something along the lines of:

$ hcitool scan
$ sdptool browse <your_phones_identifier>
$ rfcomm bind <your_phones_identifier>:channel
$ rfcomm

That's all off memory from a long time ago. I would not be surprised if syntax
is wrong, but that should at least get you started. If you're using a GUI, it
may be different.