[nflug] Thanks go out re: DVI connection

John G. Boice evrgreen at netsync.net
Wed Jan 31 21:09:17 EST 2007

Cyber Source wrote:
> Congrats, good to hear! I was always a staunch believer that resolutions
> higher than 1024x768 on 17" monitors was too small. But now with these
> 19" wide screens, 1440x900 is fine and with my 20" wide screen,
> 1680x1050 is fine, a little small but still fine. One thing I have
> noticed is that the themes look awesome at such resolutions. I've always
> like the grand canyon control theme in Gnome and the way it looks on
> 1680x1050 is just no comparison to the way it looks on 1024x768, such
> beautiful eye candy!

Well, in my dotage, my eyesight is not what it used to be.  So it's
important to me to get clear, readable type on the screen.

When I was running my 19" LG Studioworks CRT from the 1990's, I needed
to sit back a ways.  All those electrons zapping my eyeballs,
inverse-square law and all that.  So 1024x768 was practical, and didn't
tire my eyes too badly. Stuff was big enough.

When I got a laptop in 2004 with a 15" widescreen 1280x800, I loved it.
The DFP was so much more readable: no spherical distortion, and it
proved practical to get much closer to the screen without eyestrain
after a couple hours.

With this 19" widescreen Samsung DFP, my peepers tend to stay between
18-20 inches from the screen.  The 1440px width gives me plenty of space
to have multiple overlapping windows that are easy to click between, to
bring to top --say, when I'm writing something and reading a couple
different references at the same time: from a web-browser and a pdf file
on my HDD.   And still, everything is large enough that I'm not squinting.

I'm sure there are valid uses for 1600x1200 and up, but to me most
things at that screen res look like I'm trying to read the newspaper
held by some guy across the room.

But, yeah. The grafx!   Between what's available online, and what my
digital camera captures, I always have some great vistas [in the good
sense of the word!]  available at 1440x900.

1660x1050 sounds scary to me, but if your eyes like it, that's the whole
point.  Isn't it?

Man. We've come a long way since CGA graphics!

Thanks again.

John