[nflug] permission question

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sun Jan 28 14:00:32 EST 2007

John G. Boice wrote:
> anthonyriga wrote:
>
>> I have on my Ubuntu Edgy Cisco vpn client. I created
>> scripts to excute connect and disconnect the client.
>> The scripts dont work because of sudo. How do I create
>> a sudo group that give rights to run just the scripts
>> without prompting for a password or is there a way to
>> write the script as to not to as for the password? For
>> ex here is the start script. Suggestion?
>> #!/bin/bash
>> sudo /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start
>>
>> Sent Using Ubuntu Linux Operating System Edgy 6.10

> Sorry for not directly answering your question.  But it's because of
> stuff like this that I don't run Ubuntu as my main distro anymore.
>
> What I used to do under Ubuntu is create a root password and just login
> as root like a regular Linux system when I needed to do anything
> admin-related.
>
> IMO, sudo is a nice timesaver when you want to use it. But to set up a
> Linux OS that only uses sudo seems stupid to me, so I learned to use
> other distros that didn't irritate me.
>
> You could setup a "root account"  like it says here and write your
> scripts as root, no?
> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_set.2Fchange.2Fenable_root_user_password

Also, if you don't want to enable the root account but just want to be
in a root shell just "sudo su", give your password. Ubuntu's main reason
for not enabling the root account is so their isn't a common account
that people all know and can try to hack against, again, I see it fit
for something out of the box that has a simple fix if you want things
like your used to.