[nflug] permission question

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sun Jan 28 13:52:48 EST 2007

John G. Boice wrote:
> anthonyriga wrote:
>
>> I have on my Ubuntu Edgy Cisco vpn client. I created
>> scripts to excute connect and disconnect the client.
>> The scripts dont work because of sudo. How do I create
>> a sudo group that give rights to run just the scripts
>> without prompting for a password or is there a way to
>> write the script as to not to as for the password? For
>> ex here is the start script. Suggestion?
>> #!/bin/bash
>> sudo /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start
>>
>> Sent Using Ubuntu Linux Operating System Edgy 6.10

> Sorry for not directly answering your question.  But it's because of
> stuff like this that I don't run Ubuntu as my main distro anymore.
>
> What I used to do under Ubuntu is create a root password and just login
> as root like a regular Linux system when I needed to do anything
> admin-related.
>
> IMO, sudo is a nice timesaver when you want to use it. But to set up a
> Linux OS that only uses sudo seems stupid to me, so I learned to use
> other distros that didn't irritate me.
>
> You could setup a "root account"  like it says here and write your
> scripts as root, no?
> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_set.2Fchange.2Fenable_root_user_password

I won't go into all the reasons why or why not for the root account as
Ubuntu does has some very good reasons why they handle the root account
the way they do, as explained to me by my son Jesse. I have to agree
with their reasoning for why the handle the root account the way they do
when it's "out of the box". And for those of you like me that like a
root account it's as simple as "sudo passwd root", give a password, you
have a root account.