[nflug] Alternate to VMWare

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Jan 27 12:21:22 EST 2007

C. Hatton Humphrey wrote:
> I won't hijack Mark's thread but it is timely - I've been testing out
> a new tool that is similar to VMWare but is open source.  It's called
> VirtualBox.
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/
>
> I installed it and then installed XP in it (I'm running FC5 on the
> laptop since that's what we're teaching)... I have to say that I'm
> impressed.  Compared to all of my previous excursions with virtual
> machines, this thing flies.
>
> To the point that I'm putting off the attempt to get Outlook 2k3
> working via wine (need it for the Exchange server) and am just going
> to use the virtual machine.
>
> Hatton

Wow, thanks for the tip, what an awesome app! 7mb download?! (vmware is
like 100mb for workstation). This installed in a snap and I had an xp vm
installed in no time. It also seems to be way less taxing on my host cpu
and the vm xp flies even with the gui effects, which I always turned off
in vmware because it would just dog things. Doing bridged networking
seems to be a little work to config, I'm currently printing the 100 page
manual. Nice app.