[nflug] lsof equivalent in Windows?

K Olkowski wpos2 at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 23 15:00:34 EST 2007

Folks:

Is there any DOS command that is equivalent to lsof, or is there some
other way to do this in Windows?

Here's why I ask: someone at work attempted to unmount their thumb
drive, and got a message similar to "generic volume cannot be unmounted
at this time. . . ."  I looked at open processes and nothing seemed to
be open that would have a file on the thumb drive open.  If it were my
thumb drive, then I'd just yank it out anyway, but I tend to have more
respect for others' things.  I resolved this by rebooting the machine.
I figured that knowing which files on the thumb drive, if any, were open
MAY give a clue as to which program or process has it open.
Additionally, I know that there may be other reasons why Windows hijacks
drives.