[nflug] for the command line gurus

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Jan 23 08:54:29 EST 2007

I probably asked this before but I can't recall the answer. We're
probably gonna need some dollar signs and maybe some back ticks...
I'm looking for a (simple) way to find files of a certain type and
eventually put them all somewhere WITHOUT the existing paths they
currently have.
Case in point, I always get someones completely bugged up windows box in
here and they have tons of mp3's they now want on their Linux side.
Mounting with ntfs-3g makes this easy.
So I currently do this on their windows partition...
1. find /mnt/windowspart -iname "*.mp3" > foundmp3s
2. I then tar them up with tar czf foundmp3s.tar.gz -T foundmp3s
3. Then I extract them where I want on the Linux side but all the songs
are scattered all over with the paths they had before. I would like to
remove all the paths and just get the mp3s out.
I know that it probably could all be done in one shot but the thing I
want to focus on is removing the existing paths or just getting the
files themselves. Any ideas? TIA