[nflug] Broadcom Wireless Card

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Jan 9 12:03:14 EST 2007

Franklin Kumro Jr wrote:
> I am going to be installing Ubuntu on my friends laptop and the only
> piece of hardware im worried about is the wireless card. The card is
> reported as
>
> Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN
> Controller (rev 02)
>
> and I have read on the ubuntu forums that people have been getting
> this card working. I was wondering if anyone on the lug has configured
> this card correctly and is using it with wep encryption? Hopefully
> this is not a big issue as I'm trying to pitch linux to my friend
> because I'm sick of a phone call a week complaining that something new
> doesn't work.

I've had some of the broadcoms work, others not, depends on the version.
apt-get the bcm43xx-fwcutter and you can extract the firmware right from
you windows side of the pc (if it's dual boot). If not, download the
windows driver and extract it from there. Extract into the /lib/firmware
directory and then modprobe bcm43xx. If all else fails you can always
use ndiswrapper. I've actually had alot of good experiences with
ndiswrapper however it wants to call the device wlan0 and
network-manager (i believe) only listens to devices called eth* and I
like network-manager, but you can use wifi-radar with ndiswrapper and it
works well too.