[nflug] get your money back

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Mon Jan 8 11:50:24 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 11:15 -0500, Cyber Source wrote:
> Good point but it wouldn't be that hard.

No argument.  They just need to see it as worth spending effort on
(effort costs money, keep in mind how slim the margins are in the
computer hardware biz).  Some of them already have, some haven't.  We
have bought servers from both Dell and HP with no operating system on
them.  I don't think we've tried with laptops because even here the
majority of people will either run Windows or want to dual-boot.

All I'm saying is that sometimes the explanation of why something is the
way it is isn't quite as straightforward as it first seems, and in the
end boils down to something as simple as the "bean
counters" (accountants) said that even doing something simple for the
small number of cases the company would see isn't cost effective (yet).

Apologies to any accountants in the audience... :-)

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |