[nflug] Flat Panel LCD Monitors

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Fri Jan 5 09:43:08 EST 2007

Cyber Source wrote:
> David Mangani wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>    I have been plodding along with a very good condition but old 15"
>> Sony vaio monitor. It came new with my PC around '97 or so. I have
>> used it since, handing it down thru 2 other systems. It still works
>> great but am looking for something new. Its simply time. I really
>> would like something with more elbow room. I'm thinking either 19" or
>> 20" LCD. There are so many options, do I need or even want a wide
>> aspect ratio monitor? Brightness and contrast ratings... How fast does
>> the response time need to be to reduce ghosting? 12ms, 8ms, 5ms? Just
>> looking for advice. My current PC video card is still analog ( Nvidia
>> GF2 mx 400 ) so it probably needs to accept that input. Should I look
>> for one that accepts both analog and digital? If you've any good or
>> bad luck with certain brands/models, I'd love some input. Price is
>> important, but not the be all end all. If at all possible, I'd love to
>> stay in the $200 range. No more than $300 for sure. Never having used
>> an LCD monitor, do they simply "work" in Linux ( Ubuntu ) Or do I need
>> to do anything special for them to work properly.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Dave
>>

> contrast ratio is important with lcd's. Check this out for info....
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_ratio
>
> but alot of things come into play, check out this for more
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display

One thing I can't stand is a "pale" looking monitor, colors look all
faded out, that's the contrast ratio.
The old rule, you get what you pay for really works here too. Do this;
1. Get the specs for the least expensive lcd you can find.
2. Of the same size screen, get the specs for the most expensive.

Then look at the differences in the specs, you'll see what changed and
why the other is more expensive.