[nflug] Ubuntu Edgy Firefox updates

anthonyriga torrodimerda at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 2 08:35:10 EST 2007

Your right. Again I will be pitching Linux again to
another user here at work that just been a windows
victum of internet fraud. As matter of fact this was
the email they sent around the office. All this from
running Winblows and relying on crappy antivirus and
spyware protection. I blame the pc users for not using
the right equiptment for this stuff happening. Another
reason to use Linux...
The first sentence she says someone placed a virus on
our computer. My ans to that. Windows is the virus!!!
LOL...
Then the bank tells them what to do as if this is
gonna protect them. People are lazy they rather risk
their security and use windows instead of learning
Linux.

I told the group at the production meeting today that
I have been a victim of internet bank fraud; following
is a brief explanation of what happened and some
suggestions for protecting yourselves.

Someone placed a virus on our computer that allowed
them to get access to all three security level
passwords for our HSBC online banking. While in our
account they changed our email address so that any
alerts from the bank would not come to us.  They then
transferred over $3,400 to their account in
California.  The good news is that they didn’t appear
to get access to our SSN’s and the bank has already
reimbursed us.  Of course we had to close down the
online bank site immediately and close all of the
accounts.

According to the fraud group at HSBC this is not that
uncommon. Please make sure that your virus software is
always running and we suggest adding Spybot which can
be downloaded free at www.safer-networking.org/.  Be
careful if you Google it because the first entry is
spyware/spybot and it is an actual spy ware system
that you would be adding to you computer.