[nflug] vmware player bsod

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Wed Feb 14 22:14:56 EST 2007

You need to remove/change the windows drivers..

You need to boot straight into windows, create a "vmware" profile, then boot
up using that profile and change the IDE drivers and a few others to use the
standard/generic windows drivers.

Once you have a booting windows machine with generic drivers in the "vmware"
profile, then try booting it in vmware using the "vmware" profile.

The problem is that your existing windows install is expecting certain real
hardware that vmware does not have. So windows is trying to boot up and is
trying to load drivers for devices that don't exist. Windows get miffed and
craps out..

I actually do this a lot (take a physical machine and virtualize it) it's a
pain in the butt, but after a while it's not too bad and it gets easier..

The only thing the new motherboard may screw up is the cpu, everything else
is essentially virtualized..

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Mark