[nflug] tar to multiple

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Fri Feb 9 08:00:13 EST 2007

Ok,
  I've read till my eyes are bleeding and I've googled to no avail. I'm
also quite convinced that whoever the guy was that wrote the info file
for tar, must speak like an android. I've tried the various examples
that I have found but none work.
 Can someone please enlighten me on how one would use tar to create
multiple files split at a certain size? Say 1MB?
Here is one example I tried that did not work...

  peter at Office:~/tartest$ tar -cv -M -L 1024 -f songs.tar
/home/peter/Music tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
/home/peter/Music/
/home/peter/Music/07-the_mars_volta-cicatriz_esp-chr.mp3
Prepare volume #2 for `songs.tar' and hit return:
Prepare volume #3 for `songs.tar' and hit return:
Prepare volume #4 for `songs.tar' and hit return:
Prepare volume #5 for `songs.tar' and hit return:
Prepare volume #6 for `songs.tar' and hit return:

and it will just go on and on and on. The result is this;
peter at Office:~/tartest$ ls -lh
total 1.1M
-rw-r--r-- 1 peter peter 1.1M 2007-02-09 07:56 songs.tar
So, it's starting it but I must be missing a naming convention here. Any
help please from the command line/tar wizards?
TIA, Peter