[nflug] hardware question

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 11:18:13 EST 2007

What filesystem did you use on the device? EXT2, EXT3, something
else?

It's possible that it's a device limitation..
The device looks nice, but the speed looks a little substandard
from iomega's very terse specs (up to 10x faster than DDS4 tape),
DDS-4 seems to be marked at 3Mb/sec (some places shows that as
megabits, some megabytes), if it's megabytes the performance is not
too bad,  if it's megabits then the performance is gonna be kinda
pitiful.. esp for a $500+ drive and $50+ cartridges

Can you run a bonnie++ benchmark against it?  I'm curious of it's
performance.

--- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>  I have a hardware question. I recently purchased a scsi IOmega
> REV
> drive. Have it installed in Ubuntu Edgy. The drive has cartridges
> that
> hold 35GB natively! I didn't make any fstab entries for it, it
> just came
> up as /dev/cdrom-1, all was good. However, when doing my backups
> to it,
> I noticed that the tar files being cron'd to it were stopping at
> 1GB. I
> poked around in /proc/scsi and seen that the drive does get
> detected as
> a cdrom, don't know if this is a problem or can be changed. So,
> instead
> of just created my tar jobs to split the files, I was wondering
> if this
> behavior/detection can be changed via /etc/fstab. Any Ideas? TIA

-- David J. Andruczyk