[nflug] Replacing Linux Disk Drives (Cloning?)

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 6 10:59:50 EST 2007

OK,  simple..
break mirror,  add bigger drive,  allow mirror to complete,  break mirror
again (remove other small drive) add new drive.  let mirror complete..
create new logical raid volume  (72 GB) using PERC tools
fdisk that partition as 0x83 (Linux LVM), pvcreate it, create a new volume
group with it (i.e. VG00) and create logical volumes for /usr /var /tmp
/export / and swap and format that as appropriate (EXT3 recommended as it's
the only FS that can be grown AND shrunk)

Mount and copy data from old place to new (use whatever method you like),
just be sure you do it correctly.

edit your kernel options in /boot to point the root fs to the logical volume
(i.e. root=/dev/VGNAME/LVNAME, or root=/dev/VG00/SlashVol), and make sure
your initrd is configured to startup LVM (it should be ablready if this is a
commercial linux distro)  edit the fstab on the "new" (on the linux LVM) /etc
to point all the fs's to be from the logical volume).

reboot,  make sure all fs's mounted are NOT from the logical volume (not the
old paritions).  IF it worked,  you can delete all the old partitions EXCEPT
FOR /BOOT,  and repartition that as Linux LVM, add it to the existing volume
group and then grow all partitions as needed...

-- David J. Andruczyk