[nflug] SMTP Auth

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Fri Dec 21 17:36:38 EST 2007

This is not MD5 (at least not AUTH PLAIN). It's base-64. (it can't be MD5,
if it was, the server could not know the username to begin with). MD5 cannot
be decrypted.

Take a look at the following url for examples of SMTP AUTH sessions:

http://www.technoids.org/saslmech.html

As an added test go to: http://www.hcidata.co.uk/base64.htm
And plug in that AUTH PLAIN data from that example, and convert it from
base64 to ascii...see what surprise it has!

Mark