[nflug] Router vs Layer 3 switch

justin.bennett at dynabrade.com justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Mon Dec 10 13:03:32 EST 2007

        I have the same situation here, our class C subnet is nearing the
end of it's free IP addresses. What I'm doing is just using a Linux box
with several GB ethernet adapters and turning on ipv4 forwarding. We
haven't deployed it yet but during testing it it worked like a charm.
We'll prob have a few machines on it in the next few months or so so I'll
know more.

For a layer 3 switch this is what I found on google:

http://www.provantage.com/netgear-gsm7324na~7NETS118.htm

I do see some Cisco's for like $8K. :)

Justin

Richard Hubbard <rhubby at yahoo.com>
Sent by: nflug-bounces at nflug.org
12/10/2007 12:43 PM
Please respond to
nflug at nflug.org

nflug at nflug.org
cc

Subject
[nflug] Router vs Layer 3 switch

I'm in a situation where "Theoritical" vs "Reality" is about to hit home.

I have a network of over 300 computers, all on the same subnet.  I need to
break it up.

The traditional method is some kind of router.  Which is fine, but when
you ask Cisco about routers that can handle 1Gb, all the employees at
Cisco start shopping for boats.

It has been pointed out to me, that what I am looking for is a Layer 3
switch.  Which I have never actually touched before.  So, is there anyone
here that has worked with layer 3 switches?  Which brand?

What I would like...

Web front end, ability to configure subnets.
DHCP server capability
1Gb/sec speed
16-24 ports.
Inexpensive.  If I wanted expensive, I'd buy a bunch of Cisco boxen.

What I don't need, yet, Router-router communications. However, due to the
size of the network, I can imagine eventually requiring RIP. I don't think
that should be too hard (most $50 household size boxes have RIP)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ATTO Technology Inc