[nflug] Linux MTA Question

justin.bennett at dynabrade.com justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Mon Dec 3 08:06:19 EST 2007

        We have a similar situation, mail for say 'dynabrade.com'
delivered to a linux box first, and then via an aliases to the
user at dominobox.dynabrade.com. not so much for spam (we have a barracuda
spam firewall), but we're still in a phased roll out from a courier-imap
solution to Notes, so this way once I transition a user over to Notes, I
just update their alias on the linux server to forward their email to the
domino box.

        I may remove the linux box from the equation in the future once
we're all done, but I may keep it also. It's a little more to maintain,
but I like (or an used to)  the way aliases are done with linux/sendmail
better  than domino.  Yeah I could create a domino group with an internet
address for each alias, or use mail-in databases, but I'm getting narrow
minded in my old age. :)

Thanks
Justin

Richard Hubbard <hubbardr at adelphia.net>
Sent by: nflug-bounces at nflug.org
12/02/2007 07:44 AM
Please respond to
nflug at nflug.org

nflug at nflug.org
cc

Subject
Re: [nflug] Linux MTA Question

Thanks for the follow up.

I'm currently in a situation where  I may need to do just what you did.
(Have Domino, will be installing linux mail server for a relay/spam
filter...)

justin.bennett at dynabrade.com wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah that would work, however I'm not exactly sure how to do that in
domino. :) Eitherway I found my notes fomr the last time, what I did was:

edit submit.mc under /etc/mail.

Change:
"FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]')dnl"

To:
"FEATURE(`msp', `my_smtp_server')dnl"

then did a "make -C /etc/mail"

and restarted sendmail.

This makes sendmail send all outgoing mail via the smtp-server directly
without connecting to port 25 on the loopback interface, and processing
the mail it's self.

This way I don't need to bind senmail to a port.

Sent by: nflug-bounces at nflug.org
12/01/2007 11:45 AM

Please respond to
nflug at nflug.org

nflug at nflug.org
cc

Subject
Re: [nflug] Linux MTA Question

Can you configure the Domino server to allow just the one domain to be
relayed?

justin.bennett at dynabrade.com wrote:

Hey everyone,

       I'm having an issue and I can't remember how I got around this
before. I have a linux server (RH 4AS) running lotus domino, the domino
server binds to port 25 for incoming email. I need to be able to run
sendmail so that my linux logs can get delivered, however it will not bind
on 25 obviously.  I bound it to another port, however when I try to send a
mail (simple echo test | mail jbennett at dynabrade.com) It tries to use the
domino running on port 25 rather than the sendmail bound on port 2525. The
problem is the domino server accepts mail for a different domain than the
one where I need to send the logs to, so it rejects the messages.

       I've tried using a smart host option and then commenting out the
DAEMON options to bind to port 25, but none of it worked, it still wanted
to use port 25.  Any idea how I can get my local linux mail (things like
cron logs, backup scripts ect.) to send without having to have sendmail
bound to port 25?

I think I did something so that all mail from the system was sent another
smtp server and not using the local sendmail.

Thanks
Justin