[nflug] Video game programming

eric at bootz.us eric at bootz.us
Fri Aug 17 18:43:01 EDT 2007

Thank you
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: "Sam Stern" <samstern at samstern.net>

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:52:18
To:nflug at nflug.org
Subject: RE: [nflug] Video game programming

Eric,

I'm sorry to say this but it's unfortunatly quite true -- Linux is not
considered a professional or learning platform for game development. The
gold standard for learning video game development is Windows XP and
DarkBasic. It's that simple. You may choose several other forms of basic if
you Like: both BlitzBasic and PureBasic are used to teach video video game
programming as well.

Once could argue that SDL is very effective and OpenGL is of of two DeFacto
Standards (esp via the Ogre Engine -- the combination is used by many
successful bargin bin games) but neither will help prepare kids to make
connections to professions like learning DarkBasic will.

I think You should discuss this matter with whatever educator you're working
with and have them make the fianl decidsion. If one cannot be reached the XP
+ DarkBasic community is most active and supportive of young folks just
learning and is often monitored by profesional game houses looking for
aspiring new talent. from what I can tell the BlitzBasic and PureBasic
communitys are also quite supportivie but are no monitored nearly as
closely.

If you want to use some form of open source, Blender is often used as a
modeling platform for games but Calligari's Game Space Light is more
supported by school based comunites and far more goal oriented.

HTH

Sam S.