[nflug] Ati Googleearth

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Fri Aug 17 15:51:43 EDT 2007

Hi Anthony,

I had a simmiler problem and here is how I solved it:

1) lsmod | egrep "agp|fb|vesa" if you see intel_agp or other agp or frame
buffer device continue
2) logout of X then init 3
3) rmmod $modules_from_step1
4) add modules from step one to /etc/modconf.d/blacklist
5) depmod -a
6) cat /etc/sysconfig/kernel | egrep "agp|fb|vesa" if positive remove the
entry and give a mkinitrd
7) now reboot (this is one of those few times you must reboot in linux).

et volia! Most things broken will work BUT a few new items will become
broken

What this fixed for me:

1) Switiching between X and a text console resulted in black screen
2) Movies lagged horribly
3) poor opengl performance when using overlays

What this broke:

1) When I task my system above 50% cpu, system shuts down due to a thermal
event. chkconfig lmsensors and run the above process for the module
"thermal" fixed this. 40C cpus and a 35C motherboard and hard drives is not
a thermal event!!
2) cedega can no longer run the game, eve. This made me revert to the old
settings!

good luck! Those ATI drivers suck!!

Sam S.