[nflug] Email relay question

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 09:35:49 EDT 2007

OK, before we get into this, remember that this is NOT my design.  I'm trying to make the best of what I have here...  Having said that...

We currently have several clients, all using an Imail server (remember, not my design) to handle Email.  We are also routing a few Exchange servers through it.  In essence, all mail coming in for these clients hits a single server that separates the domain names and routes the mail to the backend servers.  We also have some clients that are actually storing their mail on the Imail server.  These two functions are going to be separated so that the relay server and the POP/IMAP functions are on different boxes.  The mail servers that I relay for also relay back through the Imail server.  The problem is that if one client gets infected with a spam virus or otherwise gets the server tagged as a spam host, it breaks all of the clients that route through that server.  We (actually, they) want to keep the single relay host, because it's good for troubleshooting.  (remember, not my design)

What I need to know is:  Is there any way that I can set up a system that will relay mail from internal mail servers but have the IP address leaving the server be different for each domain.  Essentially, I want it to look like each domain is coming from a different server.  We are switching the relay server to CentOS (RHEL clone) and are going to use Postfix for the relay functions.

The only idea that comes to mind is to create multiple virtual servers with VMWare and route each client through a different virtual machine.  I know I can create multiple IP aliases on the machine.  Can I leverage that somehow to get different source addresses for different domains?

Thanks...

Cheers!

Bob