[nflug] Fedora 7 Review

Kevin E. Glosser keg at roadrunner.com
Mon Aug 13 13:57:09 EDT 2007

Cyber Source wrote:
> Also, going back to using yum versus apt-get is just plain painful.

You guys are exaggerating. Yum isn't significantly worse than apt-get. :)

> Cyber Source wrote:
>> Well I read your review and was specifically looking to see about
>> java

Thanks for reading the review. As for Java in Fedora 7...

I didn't install the rpm. I wanted more control over where it was going.
I chose the other package. I also still have the JRE that was included
with Fedora 7 installed. It's just sitting there, not being used.

The installer script unpacked Java to /usr/local/java/jre1.6.0_01 I believe.

However I have to confess, I must have installed this hastily. I found
two locations of Sun's JRE. The script must have dumped it into one
location and I copied it to the other. Unfortunately, I have symbolic
links using both locations. One points to the java binary in one
location. The second points to the plugin file in the other location. I
have to clean it up. But that's not important, here's what is...

Two things you want to do to make Sun's JRE launch instead of the
included one...

1) Switch the symbolic link of /usr/bin/java to the new location. My
link for the java binary is pointing to...

/usr/local/java/jre1.6.0_01/bin/java

2) For the plugin to work you have to make another symbolic link...

You have a couple options as to where you want to place it. Actually,
there's probably more than two ways to do this. However, in the /usr/lib
directory you'll find both a "firefox..." directory for the current
version installed and also a global "mozilla" directory. Each has a
"plugins" directory. You can put the symbolic link in either and it
should work. However, if updates to Firefox occur(a newer version with a
different number) a new directory is created. Thus creating a new
plugins directory without anything in it. So, you have to fix the link
each time. However, if you put the link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins you
should only need to do it once. Do that.

Of course the link has to point to the correct location. Because I was
lazy and didn't clean up my install. The plugins symbolic link is
pointing to the second location on my install. That's...

libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Note the difference of /usr/local/java to /usr/java  That's my screwup.
Don't let it confuse you. The important part is the .../plugin/i386...etc.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it doesn't, I'll try to reword it in a
more understandable way. :)

KEG