[nflug] Fedora 7 Review

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Aug 13 08:35:32 EDT 2007

Well I read your review and was specifically looking to see about java,
as Fedora has seemingly boned this again. I have a client that
specifically requested Fedora 7 (not our latest Ubuntu dump) and I'm in
rpm hell right off the bat trying to NOT use Fedora's gcj java but Suns.
I install it, see where the plugin is for the jre and put a symlink in
place like always, my about:plugins returns and shows the plugin is
there and enabled in Firefox but on all tests, they just sit there and
think that it is not installed. I also read the release notes about
using Suns java and it refers to method that rebuilds an older java rpm.
I really don't miss Fedora for these exact type of things.....
Would you have a clue as to what is going on with it showing but not
working? I have tried the "alternatives" command but this does not even
show the installed rpm package and I also have NOT gone the route of
release notes as I don't want an older version of java if I don't have
to. The gcj java shows installed when it is and actually does work with
tests online but does not work with pogo, and all the old ladies love
their pogo!