[nflug] attempting data recovery (after total screwup)

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 20 22:07:30 EDT 2007

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll definitely look into the helix cd, as
I'm always psyched to test out ALL new flavors of linux.

Actually, I probably should have studied matters a bit more before
sending that off while I was still in the "oh, fuck!" stage of the game.

After calming down for a little longer, I realized that the reason I was
seeing such a screwy picture in the properites window was that the
partition was not actually mounted. Apparently I'd gotten far enough
along in the formatting process to wipe out the ext3 journal and (in
some way that I still don't fully understand) turn it into an ext2
partition, which I found out by firing up gparted and seeing it listed
as ext2 and also still full of quite a bit of data.

Once I mounted it as ext2 (and changed fstab so that it mounts properly
on boot now) I found all sorts of files and folders in "lost + found"
named "#xxxxxx". So I chowned lost + found back to myself instead of
root and dug into manually sorting it all out.

Interestingly, everything that was at least 3 directories deep remained
intact, requiring very little recovery, ecxept renaming the numbered
folder to what it should be - mainly many, many cds that I spent a long
time ripping a few years ago (about 50-60 GB or so), I'm thinking I
should probably rethink my whole organization stategy on ALL the
partitions here, but I'm also HOPING not to do such a thing again.

For the rest, fortunately, vlc will apparently play almost anything
(where kaffeine and mplayer won't), whatever the name is, so I was able
to recover quite a bit of the loose #xxxxxx mp3s, mpgs, and avis by
opening them in vlc to figure out what they were and renaming them to
what they should be, and now kaffiene and other players will play them
happily again. Alot of the loose mp3s still had good ID3 tags, too,
which helped things. I did end up with about 700 MB of files of type
"unknown" that I had to simply delete since I was sick of dealing with
the whole thing by then.

So, after a few days of mucking about, renaming, etc, it appears that I
only lost about 10-20 gigs of data instead of the 100 or so that I was
first kicking myself over. While it would be interesting, perhaps, to
know what it was that was lost (since I probably wouldn't have saved it
in the first place unless it SEEMED important at the time), it's
basically all over but the crying now. None of it was data that my life
or livelihood depended on, fortunately, but I REALLY didn't want to have
to rip all those mp3s and avis all over again.

It did seem somewhat odd with all the recent talk of dinosaurs and such
that I am the only one to pull such an idiotic move, but probably most
of you are wise enough by now not to admit to such a thing.

I long ago lost count of how many different systems I have put on the
various hda's here, and every time I have checked and rechecked (and
then remained nervous) to make sure that nothing was happening to that
partition while the various systems were installing. Except for that
last time, of course. Now it will be TRIPLE checks. At least.

Thanks,
S.