[nflug] New Toy...

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Fri Apr 13 09:28:00 EDT 2007

More to share...

If I'm not mistaken you like Debian so your very used to using apt-get
for package installation. I'd like to introduce you to the joys of the
Solaris Blastwave.org community and our wonderful pkg-get installation
tool. Head over to http://www.blastwave.org/ for all the details but
pkg-get is basically a clone of apt-get, though not quite as
sophisticated. You can pretty much use it to install nearly any software
package that you'd use on your standard Linux Distribution.

I've been involved with Blastwave for about three years now, I maintain
a bunch of packages for the community, though I will admit I've been
slacking as of recent.

Enjoy.

Darin Perusich wrote:
> I sit on a SunRay thin client connected to one of two clustered Solaris
> 9 v210 servers for 8+ hours a day. My desktop is KDE 3.3.1, firefox 2,
> thunderbird 2 beta, and tons of other GNU goodies. What else can I share
> with you?
>
> Wolfe, Robert wrote:
>> Good morning, everyone! :)
>>
>> Well, recently discovered (recently as in yesterday) the joys (or
>> pains, depending on who you ask <G>) of Solaris on my Ultra 5 here at
>> home (which is what I am using this post this message along with
>> Thunderbird) .  What I was wondering is there anyone else who is
>> running a similar setup (Solaris on Sun equipment) here in WNY that
>> would like to maybe share their experiences with a Solaris noob :)
>>
>> Thanks and peace,
>> Rob

Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator