[nflug] blackberry

Frank pirrone at localnet.com
Fri Apr 6 16:19:43 EDT 2007

Eric wrote:

> I need to get a device basically for wireless Internet and cell phone
> connectivity, I am unfamiliar with small devices, was thinking that a
> Blackberry was the way I would want to go, but started wondering if
> their were devices like blackberries that had a linux based OS so I
> could ssh into servers.
> Does anyone know of such a device?
>
> Thanks Greatly,
> Eric
Eric,

I've had an old iPaQ (3850) sitting in a drawer of a file cabinet in my
office for probably two years (No paper in this 4-drawer filer,
consistent with my love for trees!).  It also has a PC slot sled with
extra battery to power the card - in my case Orinoco wireless.

Dragged it out last week preparing to drop GNU/Linux on it only to
discover neither battery able to take a charge.  None at all.  Not a
trickle.  This model unfortunately takes on of the more expensive units
for the product line, but still not too costly.  I'll look around and
pick something up when I've got the best price.

So, grab an old iPaQ off e-bay and have at it.

Incidentally, this 3850 will connect to my Orinoco AP-500 from my house
which is a 1926  wrapped totally in metal mesh lath under the stucco,
down 3 wide lots to the corner - and the corner one is a church, and
diagonally across the intersection.  Good solid connection to home LAN
and world beyond.

Frank