[nflug] Setting up local MTA as relay questions

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 13:13:57 EDT 2006

Here is my Debian conf (debian builds the exim file when exim start from this conf

# /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
#
# Edit this file and /etc/mailname by hand and execute update-exim4.conf
# yourself or use 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'
#
# Please note that this is _not_ a dpkg-conffile and that automatic changes
# to this file might happen. The code handling this will honor your local
# changes, so this is usually fine, but will break local schemes that mess
# around with multiple versions of the file.
#
# update-exim4.conf uses this file to determine variable values to replace
# the DEBCONFsomethingDEBCONF strings in the configuration template files.
#
# Most settings found in here do have corresponding questions in the
# Debconf configuration, but not all of them.
#
# This is a Debian specific file

dc_visiblename='elrey.jjn.com'
dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
dc_other_hostnames=''
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_readhost='elrey.jjn.com'
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets='192.168.10.0/24'
dc_smarthost='gmail-smtp.l.google.com'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='false'
dc_hide_mailname='true'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_local_domains='@:@[]:localhost:jjn.com'

My /etc/mailname

jjn.com

My /etc/alias
mailer-daemon: postmaster
postmaster: root
nobody: root
hostmaster: root
usenet: root
news: root
webmaster: root
www: root
ftp: root
abuse: root
noc: root
security: root
root: jjneff

unaem -r
elrey.jjn.com

My /etc/exim/email-addresses

# This is /etc/email-addresses. It is part of the exim package
#
# This file contains email addresses to use for outgoing mail. Any local
# part not in here will be qualified by the system domain as normal.
#
# It should contain lines of the form:
#
#user: someone at isp.com
#otheruser: someoneelse at anotherisp.com
jjneff: grendelson at gmail.com

Log outpput sending to root from jjneff using mutt.
2006-09-29 11:57:26 1GTLfy-0007nb-UJ <= grendelson at gmail.com U=jjneff P=local S=472 id=20060929165726.GA29965 at jjn.com
2006-09-29 11:57:28 1GTLfy-0007nb-UJ => root at jjn.com R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost H=gmail-smtp.l.google.com [64.233.185.109] X=TLS-1.0:RSA_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA1:24
2006-09-29 11:57:28 1GTLfy-0007nb-UJ Completed

## ALL Mail seems to be getting grabbed by the smarthost router even though the localdomain is set as jjn.com and ! +localdomains should not accept mail as root at jjn.com....  I'm confused - I think it's right but I've been staring at it too long!

I tried to send from one user on machien to other user (jjneff is getting rename to my google account name
2006-09-29 12:06:25 1GTLof-0007w0-O6 <= lgneff at jjn.com U=lgneff P=local S=496 id=20060929170625.GA30474 at jjn.com
2006-09-29 12:06:27 1GTLof-0007w0-O6 => jjneff at jjn.com R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost H=gmail-smtp.l.google.com [64.233.185.111] X=TLS-1.0:RSA_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA1:24
2006-09-29 12:06:27 1GTLof-0007w0-O6 Completed

Still Trying to go via Smarthost - somehow the jjn.com is not being seen as localdomains
$$$ Mail for the intenet IS going out roght so that's good