[nflug] Linux & Korn Shell Question

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 11:38:04 EDT 2006

This is a difficult one.  Some versions of shells will run pipes in subshells.
That means that the variables would get set in the subshell and not in the
primary shell.  Not sure if that's what's happening to you or not.  You might
want to dump the data to a /tmp/ file and issue the read like this:
read user terminal < /tmp/tmpfile

Just a thought...

Cheers!

Bob