[nflug] Mplayer CPU Usage High

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 10:00:54 EDT 2006

That explains your high CPU usage..  Without the hardware scaler
support of your video card, it all needs to be done by the host CPU,
hence very high CPU usage, which goes up with increasing on-screen
resolution.

Depending on your card (almost all cards above a rage (ancient) should
have HW scaling support.  What shows up when you run:
 "lspci -v|grep -i vga"

It's possible you are using the wrong drivers for your card. (you can
have "ati" or "radeon" or "fglrx" depending on which card you have.)

For me  on my stinkpad laptop, I can use ati or radeon,  but in one
case I get Direct Rendering OpenGL and in the other case I do NOT,
hence the need for experimentation.

-- David J. Andruczyk