[nflug] Mplayer CPU Usage High

Frank Kumro fkumro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 00:59:58 EDT 2006

The video option failed with the error

Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers. Try -vo x11
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

and once running the command
$ xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
 no adaptors present

Damn ati

and the sound option -ao sdl just kills all sound...

On 9/4/06, Roelant Ossewaarde <rao3 at buffalo.edu> wrote:

> Very often. mplayer issues are not due to video but due to audio; audio
> needs to be synchronized to the video, and that sometimes takes a bite out
> of performance.
>
> Try running with -ao sdl.
>
> Check here:  http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/747/
>
> Roelant.
>

> On Sep 4, 2006, at 12:27 PM, Frank Kumro wrote:
>

> For some reason when I use mplayer to play video files my CPU usage is
> very high. I just played a DVD and it used 60% CPU and when I watch a
> divx excoded video and make the video larger mplayer uses 100% CPU. My
> machine specs are below and I have the newest ati driver installed
> (from ati). Anyone know of a fix for this?
>
> AMD XP 3200+
> 250gb SATA Drive
> ATI x1900Pro 256mb
> 1gb ddr400 ram
>
> --
> Frank
> Shenanigans!!
>

> -----
> Roelant Ossewaarde
>
> Linguistics Department
> 609 Baldy Hall
> University at Buffalo, the State University of New York
> Buffalo, NY, 14260, USA
>
> Tel: 716-645-2177, ext. 763

Frank
Shenanigans!!