[nflug] IPv6?

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Fri Sep 1 00:14:17 EDT 2006

> > Sam Stern wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I was testing vista today when I noticed something rather
> > pleasant but
> > > unexpected: Time Warner is providing IPv6 addresses now. So
> > I'm curious --
> > > how many of you are using IPv6 and who are the local ISP's
> > that are proving
> > > IPv6 connectivity?
> >
> > Are you a former Adelphia PowerLink customer?  It would be
> > very nice of
> > them to do that for us.  I guess I'll have to drag my
> MacBook down to
> > the cable modem and plug it in directly since my router
> wouldn't know
> > what to do with IPv6 if it smacked it in the face.
> >

> I would not have noticed either except I was testing a
> consumer firewall for
> work and had to connect Vista directly to the internet for the test.
>
> I have had the "extra speed" package for more than a year now
> -- whatever
> it's called. Having consumer grade IPv6 is certainly a
> pleasant surprise,
> it's just a pity that my business class Verizon line is Ipv4
> only. I would
> really like to have some internet facing IPv6 servers.

Hi All,

OOPS. I'm an id10t. It seems that Vista is way chattier about IPv6 than I
thought. What I thought was an actual IPv6 address turned out to be an
artifact of Teredo. Teredo gives one a 2001:: address even if no one is
connected. It also does not help that Vista lists non configured interfaces
by default with a random fe80:: prefix which I forgot meant the same as a
169.254/16 address.

Sam S.