[nflug] Thinkpad T42 laptop repair

Lindsay Pallickal pallickal at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 19:11:30 EDT 2006

Hey all, this is my first post here.

I'm looking for a place in the area that can repair a Thinkpad T42
that isn't getting power. 3 AC adapters have been tried to no avail.
The AC/charging indicator just doesn't light up and the battery
continues to drain. It has around a 20% charge left at this point and
will boot up fine.

This is not exactly linux related question but I figured that local
lug members would be better in the know about where to get this fixed,
since most repair shops don't have the expertise to get to the bottom
of this. I'm doing this for a UB student so I'm trying to keep costs
down, otherwise I'd just say just ship it to IBM.

Hopefully it is something simple, like a loose solder joint at the
power connector. If anyone has diagnostic suggestions I'd also like to
hear them. I don't live in the area but I could try and step my friend
through them over the phone. What I'd really like to do is probe for
continuity at the power connection but unfortunately I am like 400
miles away.

-Lindsay