[nflug] FreeBSD 6.2-RC1 is now available

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Nov 29 14:04:15 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 10:32 -0500, eric wrote:
> I'm fooling around with openBSD from what I read they focus more on
> security, what do you think? I just want to set it up to run ssh and
> thats it, do you think I chose well?

If all you're concerned with is SSH then virtually anything would be
fine.  As someone else pointed out the same set of folks who produce
OpenBSD produce OpenSSH but unless you want/need to follow the bleeding
edge of OpenSSH development what you get in any of the released
operating systems (including OpenBSD) will be more or less the same.
Fixes to what's considered the "stable" variant of OpenSSH find their
way into pretty much everyone's OS fairly quickly.

Security is definitely one of the (if not the) major focuses of OpenBSD.
That's not to say that the other systems are insecure though.  They all
have various strengths and weaknesses but you usually need to be poking
at more than just "basic security" to start running into those sorts of
things.  If you're just "playing around" they're all fine. :-)

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |