[nflug] JRE in FC6 amd64 won't work

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Nov 29 07:24:01 EST 2006

default wrote:
> To make a long story short, I reformatted my ext3fs partition and
> installed FC6 x86_64 from scratch.  Everything that I want to work
> works now, except for jre, which ironically did before.  I was even
> able to use the Blackdown jre for Firefox and Seamonkey, and the Java
> RPM for Opera.  (No 64-bit Opera AFAIK.)
>
> I'm trying 2 approaches.
>
> The first is downloading and running the Blackdown binary.  It
> installs fine, I can link the plugin to Firefox and Seamonkey, etc.,
> etc., but when I go to a Java page (the Verify Installation page at
> java.com, for example), the browser exits.  I thought I'd pull a slick
> one and start the browser from a terminal and see debug info - no such
> luck.  HOWEVER, I got this when I tried to open ControlPanel.html:
>
> [stay at rest ~]# seamonkey /usr/lib64/j2re1.4.2/ControlPanel.html
> *** encoders
> math1mono -> x-mathematica1
> math4mono-bold -> x-mathematica4
> math4 -> x-mathematica4
> math5 -> x-mathematica5
> math3mono-bold -> x-mathematica3
> cmex10 -> x-ttf-cmex
> math2mono-bold -> x-mathematica2
> math5bold -> x-mathematica5
> math1mono-bold -> x-mathematica1
> mtextra -> x-mtextra
> cmsy10 -> x-ttf-cmsy
> math4mono -> x-mathematica4
> math2mono -> x-mathematica2
> math1-bold -> x-mathematica1
> cmr10 -> x-ttf-cmr
> math2-bold -> x-mathematica2
> math3-bold -> x-mathematica3
> math1 -> x-mathematica1
> math5monobold -> x-mathematica5
> math4-bold -> x-mathematica4
> math5mono -> x-mathematica5
> math2 -> x-mathematica2
> math5mono-bold -> x-mathematica5
> cmmi10 -> x-ttf-cmmi
> math5-bold -> x-mathematica5
> math3 -> x-mathematica3
> math3mono -> x-mathematica3
> *** cmaps
> math4 -> mac_roman
> math1mono -> mac_roman
> math4mono-bold -> mac_roman
> math3mono-bold -> mac_roman
> math5 -> mac_roman
> math2mono-bold -> mac_roman
> math5bold -> mac_roman
> cmex10 -> unicode
> mtextra -> mac_roman
> math1mono-bold -> mac_roman
> math4mono -> mac_roman
> cmsy10 -> unicode
> math2mono -> mac_roman
> math1-bold -> mac_roman
> math2-bold -> mac_roman
> cmr10 -> unicode
> math3-bold -> mac_roman
> math5monobold -> mac_roman
> math1 -> mac_roman
> math5mono -> mac_roman
> math2 -> mac_roman
> math4-bold -> mac_roman
> math3 -> mac_roman
> math5-bold -> mac_roman
> math5mono-bold -> mac_roman
> cmmi10 -> unicode
> math3mono -> mac_roman
> [...]
I think apt-get totally kicks yum's butt however yum does have a handy
option that I have not found a similar option in apt-get and that is to
use it against a local package. "yum localinstall packagename" will do
what you want and get whatever the requirements are the package depends
on. I have never tried it but I would imagine apt-get would work the
same way as long as you put the *.deb (or rpm for that matter) in the
local archive so it could find it, just might work. However, with yum's
localinstall option, you simple need the path to the local file.