[nflug] #*!%@ intel crap!!!! /kernel

matt donovan kitchetech at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 15:34:03 EST 2006

have no way to get up there I live in Olean, have my license but no car :0,
but I can explain it just a tad here. ok Inow when you do make menuconfig or
make xconfig there will be a load alternate config you go to that and press
enter or click depending on what you use. Now copy your distro's config(some
distros will load the config right in /boot others don't, you can do this
before you run the make menuconfig or make xconfig) to where your linux
source is, now  enter the name of your config in the dialog box that pops
up.
  Now you will have everything marked either * or M or just []. Now you can
save your config and do make all && make modules_install. make all just
makes it esier so you don't have to give so many commands. ok now you will
have to copy over the bzImage to /boot so it will be arch{i386 or the x86_64
directory)/boot I usually name bzImage vmlinuz-$VERSION. after you copy the
kernel image to /boot you will have to edit your boot loader so you can boot
from the new kernel. now remeber if it's lilo you have to run the lilo
command but only a few still use lilo as a boot manager such as slackware
and other old distros, I prefer grub myself since I understand it more then
I used to.

Now if you don't want to use the config way you can compile the sound
support in the kernel AC97 needs to things to be built a a module or built
in depending on hjow you want your kernel to be big or not. the AC97 sound
driver and the AC97 modem driver.

If you want to talk to me at anytime I m usually in #sourcemage on
irc.freenode.net mostly #infonomicon or ##slackware, sometiems I m on
#ubuntu as kitche