[nflug] Ubuntu DVD burner

wpos2 wpos2 at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 28 11:11:19 EST 2006

My recommendation as far as brand names is Lite On.  They're probably
cheaper on average than HP burners, plus there's a great support
community for Lite Ons.

But it sounds like you're aiming for light scribing capabilities.  In
which case keep in mind that some NEC and Pioneer burners have Label
Flash feature, which I'm led to believe is similar to Light Scribe, just
to keep your options open.  Similarly, keep in mind some Yamaha burners
which have Disc Tattoo (or DiscT at 2) capabilities.

If you're set on some kind of disc labelling system, here's my reasoning
for sticking with HP and Light Scribe: it's most popular and therefore
*probably* has the most support in the users' community.  HP also
strikes me as pretty Linux friendly, tho I don't know off hand how this
applies to Light Scribing.  (My guess is not at all.  Yet.)  But if disc
labelling isn't important, then my recommendation is Lite On all the way.

I didn't say much in these 2 paragraphs, but I can confidently say that
I have shared at least 99% of all that I know about the subject.  But
keep in mind that any time that I use the word "probably," TAKE THAT
WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

Good luck and good burning.