[nflug] ubuntu 6.10 works great

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Nov 9 14:14:03 EST 2006

anthonyriga wrote:
> Pete
>
>   I used gparted to create the partiton anything else
> I need to know?
>
> --- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
>

>> anthonyriga wrote:
>>
>>> I have downloaded and writing this email using
>>>
>> ubuntu
>>
>>> live cd. I will have to say it works great. Im
>>>
>> using
>>
>>> my work Toshiba tecra m3 wireless PRO/Wireless
>>>
>> 2200BG
>>
>>> and didnt have to load drivers for anything even
>>> wireless works out of box. All power mgt stuff
>>>
>> works
>>
>>> too. Looks like I will for sure making switch from
>>> Fedora. Since this is my work laptop I will make
>>> backup of Windows and will be adding Ubuntu as my
>>> second dual boot.

>> ntfsresize will work perfect for making room on that
>> laptop for the real
>> OS ;)

I assume your referring to ntfsresize.
Here is how I do it.
1. Boot the system with knoppix.
2. ntfsresize the partition. run ntfsresize with no options or man
ntfsresize for options.
3. run fdisk to delete the partition in question and create a new
partition with the new size.
NOTE: A. If say I make the partition the size 40000M, then I would
create the new partition in fdisk with say 40010M just to make sure it
is big enough. The new partition has to be at least as big as you
resized it too.
B. you MUST make the partition start on the same starting block that it
originally was, make note of this before doing anything!
C. If the partition originally had a boot designation, you need to put
that back on, Option "a" in fdisk!
Failure to do these, will make your system unbootable. Upon successful
resize and reboot, it will run through a check disk, all should be well.