[nflug] winbook XLi happiness

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Fri Nov 3 16:42:41 EST 2006

eric wrote:
> Greetings, This is more of a hardware problem, but it's driving me crazy
> trying to fiugre out.... in the end I am putting a CLI linux on it, not
> sure which one, maybe knoppix without the goo.
> Anyway, here's my problem, the LCD was shorting out the display ...even
> to CRT when one was connected, so I ripped out the LCD and now I just
> have the CRT... I have no way of seeing the bios to change the bios to
> use CRT instead of LCD, I know I can get to the bios by pressing the F2
> key....
>
> I am trying to set the bios to CRT blind, my crazy ass question is, does
> anyone have a winbook XLi and can tell me every key to hit after I boot
> into bios to change LCD to CRT?  I've downloaded the manual and know
> that it is in the advanced section and have tried many many times with
> no luck.
>
> :)  thanks,
> Eric

For Winbook XL, [fn] (blue) F2 toggles between LCD and CRT - I know
because I just dropped mine a few inches and that did in the LCD.
Before all this, Knoppix 3.something live CD booted fine on it, but did
not recognize the mouse or modem.  Since my screen is also dead, I can't
do any BIOS stuff to help you there.  The toggle works near the
beginning of the boot up sequence (into Windoze 98).   If you do get any
Linux running on it, let us know.

Joe