[nflug] sorry windows printing question

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed May 31 07:27:11 EDT 2006

anthonyriga wrote:
> Thanks tried those instructions and it worked... Just
> had to use printer pooling for both usb virtual then
> net use lpt1 commnand..
>
> --- "David J. Andruczyk" <djandruczyk at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
>> Describes a solution
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314499
>> Network solution (used by the first choice in a
>> roundabout way)
>>

>> --- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:

>> old

>> information

>> his

>> print.

>> solution

>> protection around

>>> I just dealt with this the other day. In your
>>>
>> friends case, it really
>>
>>> doesnt matter that he was able to connect the
>>>
>> printer, from DOS it's
>>
>>> going to look for the LPT interface itself. I have
>>>
>> seen some tricks

>>> supposedly make DOS able to print to a USB port
>>>
>> but I never had any
>>
>>> luck. I don't think your going to find a way
>>>
>> around this one. You
>>
>>> might
>>> have better luck using FreeDOS in Linux but I
>>>
>> would imagine you'll
>>
>>> run
>>> into the same problem.
>>>

>> Dave J. Andruczyk

Glad you got the USB one going, the pooling part must be the trick
because that's the only thing I didn't do. I ended up having parallel
printers at both locations that I did this with so it was a mute point
and I didn't look into it further. I was also setting up a DOS printer
in a VMware XP session printing to a Linux hosted printer via samba LOL.
(the parallel printers work surprisingly well in this scenario)