[nflug] sorry windows printing question

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue May 30 13:31:27 EDT 2006

anthonyriga wrote:
> I have friend that has Win XP and is running an old
> dos program that he needs to print out information
> from it. The printer that he has is parallel and his
> laptop only has usb. He ended up buying a usb to
> parallel converter to use his old printer to print.
> How do I get dos to print with the converter or
> winblows to reconize it? Is there a Linux solution
> that I use to do this? Any suggestions?

I just dealt with this the other day. In your friends case, it really
doesnt matter that he was able to connect the printer, from DOS it's
going to look for the LPT interface itself. I have seen some tricks to
supposedly make DOS able to print to a USB port but I never had any
luck. I don't think your going to find a way around this one. You might
have better luck using FreeDOS in Linux but I would imagine you'll run
into the same problem.